Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Is it possible to travel too much?


I have been working on my work calendar for next year… I realized that I am only working three days in January… with trips planned in November, December, and February as well… There is also a trip in either August or September, one in October, and one in November… next year…

The spread sheet (the one I keep) says I will still have vacation days on the books at the end of it all.

So over Thanksgiving T and I will fly to Dules (Washington DC) stay with our daughter at our nephew’s in Arlington Virginia, with Thanksgiving in Lorton Virginia at a niece’s home… visiting a nephew’s (Fred) home in California Maryland.. He won’t be there, he’s in Iraq… but his wife (She did Afghanistan in an Apache for the Army), children, and our daughter will… Then home from DC via a night in Baltimore arriving early on Monday…

December is Matt and Suzy’s wedding (Matt is Fred’s brother… they both live in the DC area, but both were born in Las Vegas…) The wedding is in LA… The daughter is flying in from DC then driving home with us…

Two weeks (more or less) Steph and I will head east in her new (used) car…. Leaving on the evening of December 30th… New Years eve in Albuquerque New Mexico… to Oklahoma City, Amarillo Texas, Memphis, Nashville, and north via the Blue Ridge to Washington DC (and me home via Dulles)… late Tuesday January 5th… Much of the route follows old Rt 66. We will get to visit Graceland…

On January 9th T and I set out for Rio via Atlanta for a cruise to Antarctica and around the horn… 20 days… Argentina, Uruguay, the Falkland’s, Chile… It’s an itinerary rich in Penguins…

Between the two trips I will be at work January 6, 7, and 8… only the 6th, 7th, and 8th

Some time in February or March I will go to DC to do some research… it’s an annual trip…

This summer, either early August or early September Brian (aka the son) and I are planning a road trip… either Yellowstone and Grand Tetons or Arches, Canyon lands and maybe Navajo National Monument… Somewhere in the intermountain west… Somewhere in the wilderness… a father son trip… before he deploys to the gulf as a Navy sailor… his second deployment… Its either buffalo or Anastasi, we haven’t yet decided….

In October its my annual trip the V&T… a historic symposium presented by the Nevada Historical Society… and the Nevada State Railroad Museum…. I go every year.

November is a trip, yet undefined… a celebration… T and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary on November 8th… We will go somewhere…

Identified options include… (there may be unidentified options):

A Mexican Riviera Cruise…. We have this booked… its obvious and easy… we have done it before.

Hawaii… Both of us have been there, but not together… maybe, but not the leading contender… It would have to include at least a couple of islands… we are not beach people (I might be… T is not) so we would be exploring….

A Caribbean cruise… most likely an Eastern or Southern Itinerary… At this point probably most likely…

Yosemite, the Ahwahnee Hotel… the sentimental favorite… We originally planned to spend our Honeymoon here… scheduling issues intervened… I might pull for a visit during the annual Briceburg Dinner…

Mean time there are piles of maps and travel guides growing on tables and other horizontal surfaces…

Learching towards more travel… Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment