Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fall has arrived… in the land of no seasons…

It’s not a calendar thing… It’s not the store ads that weigh down the newspaper or the catalogs that the mail brings….

It’s beyond the leaves… beyond the early night fall… Fall has arrived…

Tonight it’s dark, very dark courtesy of a very thin, spectacularly thin crescent moon. It’s cold… while days are pleasant, the temperature drops fast as the sun falls.

At work, and at home, I am gathering and splitting fire wood … lighting fires… the smell of wood smoke is both a sign and part of the transition…

We start to cocoon… wear sweaters, hide in our circle of warmth… We think of tropical vacations…

I make soup.

I am starting to think of Christmas lights… of trees inside… of festive dinners…

This winter is seems mostly I am traveling… that seems at odds with cocooning… but it seems to work for me… It also means I am thinking of shedding stuff… losing that I don’t need but keep just for the keeping… probably not enough stuff to make a difference.

Or I can make more soup and empty the refrigerator and freezer… It’s all about soup…

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment