Thursday, April 18, 2013

Where I am… (not a geographic question)




Work is currently stressful… I may have suggested in an earlier blog post that currently find that  I dislike work… not work, or work place as much as my work situation…  while there have been small victories (we turned on the heat today), sadly not much has changed… 

So, It’s late, (as in the hour of the day)  but I am not interested in bed…  really, I am interested (in bed), but too restless, too distracted, and not ready… I have walked the dog… tried to read a book… nothing is working… so I sit at the computer… checking email, making random Google searches…  thinking of an escape…

Tonopah (Nevada) is beginning to look like a good vacation destination… this could be considered an issue… either my standards have slipped, or I am so desperate for a vacation that I am willing to deal down, from my routine goal of a nice beach in the Caribbean  to the center of Nevada…   to Tonopah, Nevada, a  place better known for holes in the ground (aka abandon mines) and rattle snakes … (they have gambling establishments (legal gambling establishments) and whore houses (legal whore houses) but I am not that interested  in the former and the lovely Tina might object to the latter… 

Of course, I believe rattle snakes are good eats (apologies to Alton Brown)… but if big enough for a steak… lemon and season salt and a few minutes on each side on the grill… smaller snakes, gut out like a trout, skin, and skewer… more lemon… pepper…  baste… but I digress,  In the background, Conan is on… I usually don’t stay up this late but sleep seems elusive.  I am not that interested in Conan… but Conan is my current escape…at least at 12:02 am on a early Thursday morning.

According to Google I would be better off in Texas if I am searching for culinary rattlesnake… 

I have reservations at a Tonopah hotel… for early May….  Tonopah as a vacation destination is not a joke…  There is a historical symposium in Tonopah this May… that might be my core reason for going there…

It isn’t my first time in Tonopah… I may have passed through as recently as last September… I may have purchased gas (the Jeep carries a log book, with an entry for each gas purchase…)… so evidence suggests that I may have slowed down… and stopped… but walked around (beyond a gas pump) or stop for food (beyond the obligatory beef jerky (the Nevada desert is known for “alien beef jerky” but that is not found in Tonopah, and one has to settle for the common teriyaki beef jerky)  
I may have made snarky jokes about those who move to Nevada to escape… 

So, I am headed back to Tonopah, to stay a couple of nights… eat a couple of meals… (I am thinking Mexican)  and I am looking forward to the experience… Someplace not here…  A place to escape too…

No comments:

Post a Comment