Friday, March 29, 2013

Wednesday Morning… Bugging out…





Wednesday, dawn, Panamint Springs Resort...  near Death Valley…

We (I) awake with the sun… with dawn… I arise first and stoke the fire and make coffee…. The others follow… This morning is different… this is our last morning, for this trip… out last breakfast…

As we rise, we start to break camp… packing things in vehicles… even while making breakfast… while drinking coffee…  

A bit after 9:00 (am) Steph and I bid farewell, and head out, to the main road, then east for a mile, then south, to Trona and Ridgecrest…   The Sierra passes have not thawed out in the last 5 days, so our options are south to Walker Pass or Hwy 58 over the Tehachapis or North to Hwy 88 and Carson Pass…  We came via Carson Pass… we will leave via Walker Pass… 

But first we have to drive through Trona… Trona is Keeler, if Keeler was successful, and still had a lake based soda plant… but was still an alkali washed mean little town…   I have been here before… I took photos of railroad locomotives… today we see railroad locomotives, but we don’t stop.
Beyond Trona we find Ridgecrest, a Navy base… (The Naval Weapons Center) and another mean oasis in the desert…  We pause for gas in Inyokern just beyond… 

Today, we choose Walker Pass… up, over the divide, to Lake Isabella, down the Kern River Canyon.  Steph and I were here in July, with the lovely Tina… to scatter the ashes of my parents… I have a history here… but again… we don’t  stop… 

We emerge out of the Kern Canyon, into the valley of the San Joaquin…. Passing through Bakersfield…  beyond, to Hwy 5, the great northern road of the great valley of California…
Steph is researching Karl… we are finding many facts about Karl… 

It is a fast run north…  Too fast over Pacheco Pass… I get a chance to meet a nice CHP lady and receive a ticket for 75 in a 65 zone… 

We reach home about 4:00…  I take a shower (much needed… after 3 nights in a tent in the desert  I smell much like a smoked skunk…) then, go to work… I have a meeting… we meet… I come home, read email and blog for the first time in 4 days…  Then bed… bed is welcome… but not as much as might be expected…

I am thinking of the next adventures… some of which might include the desert….

No comments:

Post a Comment