Monday, July 23, 2012

Tonight someone asked how I was doing, was I settled back in…


It was a reference to Dad, Mom, the dog, and scattering their ashes... 
 

I answered, no, Not quite settled, work is a zoo, life is imitating work... and a trip looms...”

I am way too busy at work… it is making me testy… grumpy… co-workers may be noticing… I am lucky to have an assistant… a good assistant… without Barbara I would either go crazy or quit…  Work is not currently fun… It is not fulfilling… it is a slog…

With work less than fulfilling, the looming road trip takes on a life of its own… Significant importance as a diversion…

With trip looming, The question of rules comes up… I believe we need rules…  (any significant undertaking needs rules… How can you break rules if you don’t have rules… )

 Alton Brown has published rules for his two “Feasting on Asphalt” trips… ( but not for feasting on Feasting on water) 

His Rules:

FOA Rules
1. Stick to back roads and clear of Interstates whenever possible
2. Will not eat at national chain restaurants
3. No whining
4. If no place to eat, fend for self—camping and cooking or kindness of strangers

FOA 2 Rules:
1. There will be no freeways. By pass them at all costs
2. Not eat any industrial chain fast food
3. No whining
4. Seek authentic food and tell the stories attached to it so we will know more about who we are and where we’re going
So, reviewing Alton’s rules, and understanding his goals, and our goals… I offer a set of rules for our Cannon Ball Run

So, reviewing Alton’s rules, and understanding his goals, and our goals… I offer a set of rules for our Cannon Ball Run… (based or at least inspired by Alton’s….)

Our Rules….
1) When possible avoid the Interstate…  Of course this trip is a cannon ball run, and we have to go many miles before we sleep, so, the Interstates will be used, but when an option is offered consider it…
2) Do not eat in any industrial fast food chain (this may be the most important rule…  This of course is targeted at Micky D’s, Taco Smell, and the Waffle house, but also at Starbucks… The ladies may push back at Starbucks…) But, once in Florida, it means we may eat Bar B Q…
3) No whining (Of course, they (the ladies) may, but based on our rules I get to ignore them… to a point)
4. Seek authentic food and tell the stories attached to it so we will know more about who we are and where we’re going… (this is Alton’s… I am adopting it as mine….)
5) Honor requests for bathroom stops (We after all are a civilized people)
6) Weird museums and local attractions are good… and worth a bit of time (a rule for me)
7) Occasionally, stop, walk once around the car, take a deep breath.

I have spent some time tonight trying to find acceptable places to eat along I-75 in Florida…places that conform to rule 4… finally I think I have a list… It was the biggest challenge…

Early to marrow I will go to work (5 hours from now)  I will work for many hours… I will return tired… then, I will do it again…  The trip is looking better all the time.

“It is not down any map; true places never are,”
Herman Melville

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment