Friday, July 20, 2012

A New Look…. And more trip planning



I have been playing with the blog… changing the look… a got the slide show working again…  I updated my profile and the blogs and sites I follow… I considered a new photo centric look, but too often on the road, photo uploads are difficult… I decided that the words are more important.
I may even try to “monetize” it… ad a few ads on the margin… why not, it (the blog) is really all just a grand experiment in new media.  If Google ads buy me a six pack of decent beer every quarter it may validate the process… 

I am continuing to experiment with posting from my I pad… I can, but it ends up looking like one long paragraph… more appropriate for a rant, less for a thoughtful discussion about secondary roads and random sights in Texas…  Some of which may appear here in the near future…

Back to the trip…

I am continuing to over plan the next road trip, a cannon ball run to Florida… I have reservations for 3 of the 5 nights, a couch for one, so only one is unreserved, unplanned…   So far the food plan is looking good, strange places for lunch, wonderful places for dinner… except the last day, New Orleans to Ft Lauderdale… Breakfast is under control (Café Du Monde, New Orleans)  but Florida is looking like a food desert, with lots of Micky D’s, Taco Bells, and Waffle Houses… but few unique dining opportunities…  this is sad… The most memorable restaurant meal I ever ate was in Florida, in Ft Lauderdale, in Johnny V’s… the meal was wonderful, (ostrich, bunny and venison, the cheese plate afterward beyond…) but now, crossing Florida, north Florida, I can’t find a place to eat… beyond the Waffle House….  No one wants to eat lunch at the Waffle house…

It is likely there is a diner, a dive… somewhere along the I-10/I-75 area… but so far I haven’t found it… We have a trip goal, no McDonald's… No Taco Bell… (I will throw the Waffle house into the mix) we need to be true to the goal… Florida is a challenge…
More research is needed… back to the internet, the web, the grind stone….
On other news… tomorrow I will make a run to Carson City, Nevada, USA…. To a railroad museum, a museum with railroad cars, one of which was built in Sacramento in 1868, used by Governor Stanford in May of 1869 at the Golden Spike ceremony… I will do forensic paint research… as part of a team doing a restoration feasibility study, in building terms a Historic building report….   identifying how the car was painted many, many years ago…  We will look at how the car is bolted together…   It is my passion… I will enjoy the long day… then collapse on Sunday, before a late lunch on the coast with the wife and dogs…

No comments:

Post a Comment