Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Our cars, they define us...


With the Escape’s big anniversary, I seem to be stuck on writing about cars… Always an appropriate topic for those of us from California…


I drive a stick shift car. (The Escape… If you read this blog you know about THE Escape… It has become an old friend, beyond a car or truck or ….) I had to special order the Escape, with its 5 speed trans, 4 cylinder engine, 4 wheel drive, and high trim…


My wife drives a stick shift car. (A Mazda 3) It was hard to find a stick shift non turbo Mazda 3… I see a trend developing… It has 50 series tires... (if you don't know what that means, you will not understand)


My daughter drives a stick shift car. (Toyota Corolla, a 6 speed… its cool, a 6 speed…) We bought it used… from a Googler who was transferred to Zurich… his lost, our gain… He was French… not American… this may explain the transmission…. the trend continues…


My son drives a stick shift jeep. ( a jeep is different that a car… really, and Jeeps define a stick shift concept, abet not by choice) ….and there is a motorcycle too…


There are two Fiat 850 Spyders (Spyders is not a misspelling, it’s Italian) in the side yard, a 1969 in poor shape bought in 1976, named the Rat, and a 1971, bought in 2005, about half way through a full fame off (a difficult concept for a unibody car, but a good description of the work undertaken) named Red Molly, both with stick shifts… (4 speeds, old school) They don’t currently run, but we are working on that. Our, (Tina and I) fist date was in the Rat, Tina learned how to drive in the Rat of the 850’s… this might explain things…


We (our family) all drive… this is different that pointing a car… we participate in the experience… we are involved… We understand the shifting of gears… we are involved in the process of driving.


By now I am ranting… Sometimes I rant too easily, too often… I apologize.


Cars have become too easy… get in, turn the key, go… the car chooses the gear… the car knows if you are too close… the car is in control, because we are not. I want to choose when to shift, what RPM (they, the unwashed, unknowing they, don’t know what RPM is, or why they should know) I guess it’s ok to use the phone, or maybe not… The CHP may want to weigh into that one…


I (and apparently the rest of the family ) prefer to be more involved… First gear, its all right, Second gear, its all right, Third gear, its all right, Faster, its all right, (apologies to the Beach Boys… of course, Grandma Erma was the Little Old Lady from Pasadena, so it may be hereditary)


I also like to choose my music… particularly when driving (I like, no love KFOG our local radio station but they are an exception…) Mostly I choose my own CD’s to listen to… I carry 40 or 50 CD’s at any time…


I also carry equipment… two jacks… a tow rope… a shovel and an axe… I know how to get unstuck (usually.) Sometimes there is a come along and a block and tackle (with manila rope, really old school.) Brian’s jeep has a wench… He has bigger tires, better for most difficult roads, but difficult on the freeway at high speeds… ask about “death rattle” some time. I spent 500 miles in the jeep a freeway speed once…) I also carry a jumper cables… a jump box, wrenches and other tools… Three gallons of water, some motor oil and brake fluid… It’s all about being self reliant… Oh, yes, I also carry a AAA card… just in case.


The vehicles are not just objects… they are the magic carpets to other places… other places across town, across rough county… down country roads… to other places, some obscure. The music will follow us…


Randy


P.S. I have changed the mission statement for the blog (lower left) I am letting the blog be what it wants’ to be…


P.P.S. Today is the last day of summer… I am not ready… it hasn’t been hot… I haven’t had a chance to slow down…

No comments:

Post a Comment