Friday, September 17, 2010

Cleaning up


I am home… but far from fully back.


I have only begun to unpack… the cooler is unpacked, the duffle bag in, the dirty clothing (really dirty clothing including one pair of socks that may need to be framed…)


Yesterday was a zoo at work… too many loose ends, too many messages to return… a meeting (I hate meetings) We are doing a Murder Mystery Dinner tomorrow, and there is too much to do for that…


I am working on the photos… in no particular order… I can’t find one memory card… the one from Keet Seel… I took it out and put it somewhere safe… clearly safe from me… It will emerge eventually, but for now it is MIA.


Today I am posting photos taken on 9/11 while traveling through Monument Valley, Garden of the Gods, and Comb Wash. With a little distance, both geographically, temporally, and emotionally, I find the photos that I have taken interesting… Some are scenery, some snapshots, but many seem to have a theme… the country, and what we, the people, have left, either intentionally, whether or not a good idea, fences and roads, or the debris and trash we abandon. A fence, while possibly needed, does not add to the wide vista of Monument Valley… another (and another, and another) Navajo souvenir stand with locally made jewelry from China and rubber tomahawks and such, now empty is a common site. Another empty beer can or 12 pack box is now ubiquitous.


Equally interesting are the photo not taken… Things I saw and remember, but for whatever reason I did not raise the camera and take a picture… does that make that view any less real?


No comments:

Post a Comment