Sunday, July 19, 2009

Road Trip - Planning and Dreaming

I am going crazy at work. There is too much to do, no time. The more to do, the less time available to do it.

I need a respite. I have been searching my calendar, but between summer camps, fire watch, and commitments, there is only a single 8 day, 7 night respite, a chance to escape. My fellow employees seem to agree and will cover my section (They noticed not a good sign)

So, I am dreaming, planning and conspiring. Road Trip, a Walk About.. Into the desert. The planning process is significant. It is itself part of the trip, and part of the release.

The Plan

Off to Mesa Verde Colorado, via the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, off via Monument Valley and a stop at the swinging stake house in Mexican Hat Utah to Mesa Verde, finally a visit to Arches and Ely Nevada on the way home.

This is a solo trip, by design. There is something special about making camp, with fire, tent, and lantern, then sitting is solitude, enjoying the moment.

Additionally, I have purchased a new camera… I need to test it, get to know it, make it part of my hand… Maybe that’s the real reason… at least officially.

It’s too many miles, too much driving, too few days, but good nonetheless.

It’s a long reach to get to canyon lands, the Utah high plateau. I figure on starting with a long drive to St George Utah… about 12 hours. The last day, from Ely Nevada to home is likely as long. In between the drives are shorter… allowing time to stop, look, photograph and occasionally explore…

I am likely to take less traveled routes… Google and AAA say I should get to St George via Barstow and Las Vegas. I suspect I will get there via Yosemite, then around the south side of Mono Lake, over Mt Montgomery then south to Las Vegas before turning north-east towards St George.

Similarly, on the way home I plan to stop in Ely, then either Hwy 50, known as the “Loneliest Road” to Carson City then across Hwy 88, or via Hwy 6 to 395, then over Tuolumne Pass in Yosemite…

There is much to do to make it happen… Work… trying to get things in order… The car needs to be serviced… It has 175,000 miles on it, and I have concerns… there are supplies to purchase… and music… one must have music on a long drive…

Once again I have changed the slide show… Now photos from a previous trip, lost in the west, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons… As usual my older albums are available at http://picasaweb.google.com/RandyHees

No comments:

Post a Comment