Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Sad Day

So, a friend committed suicide a couple of days ago…

I can‘t say it’s a surprise, he had been troubled for a long time… I hope he has now found peace.

He was a Vietnam vet, a tunnel rat. I don’t know if he was a troubled as a result of being a tunnel rat, or if he was a tunnel rat because he was troubled.

He was formerly married to a friend… a neighbor… We went on vacation together a couple of times. His ex-wife and mine are close. My daughter stays in touch with his daughters… He helped strip the roof off our house when we were remodeling it… He didn’t exactly fit in… the rest of the crew was in blue jeans, he was wearing jogging shorts…

When he and Holly got divorced I was their “worst man” I delivered the papers. He knew about it in advance, and delivering the papers, then getting the signature was a formality, not a surprise, but it was weird…

He spent a “good” day with his daughters and made peace with his son a few days before. He left his Army uniform so they would know he was a vet…

Apparently he went to a hospital, then shot himself… I find it strange that I can’t find anything about his death on the web… I hope this is not so common that it doesn’t qualify as news.



Rest in peace Joe…

No comments:

Post a Comment