Thursday, June 4, 2015

Crossing th Colorado.




Very long ago in a place far away, J. J. Parsons would define places by their rivers and watersheds… To me this makes sense… and today I will leave the Mojave River, and head east over the Colorado… The great river of the Southwest….  Earlier in the trip I found I was talking to a fellow graduate of UC Berkeley’s department of Geography…. We had similar views on landscape and the world… It made sense...

First breakfast at Penny’s… then up to Calico, the fake ghost town… it’s a good fake ghost town…  What it lacks in authenticy, it makes up in good clean restrooms…  I call it Knotts Berry farm in the desert, but that is unfair… Walter Knott did a good job of recreating the one time silver boom town… and San Bernardino treats it like a historic place and interpets it for school children in a good way and signs say which buildings are recreations with photos of the original and the new… 

After Calico I dropped down hill a bit to walk the unmarked ruins of a silver mill and Marion, the borax plant before heading east, first on Rt 66, then onto I-40…. After a hard fast run, In Needles I dropped off I-40 heading towards Oatman… 10 miles out I traded pavement for a BLM dirt track…  near the old railroad grade… it can’t be called a road… it was washed out, and occasionally hard to follow… It took a full hour to go less than 10 miles… 

Oatman is another tourist ghost town… with scheduled gun fights and such… Oatman has “wild” burros wandering the street (singular, there is only one main street….)  but at least the burros are really cute… 

Then over the pass and on to Kingman… I am staying at the La Trovatore motel… an old motel, said to the be the first in Arizona with baths in every room…  Notable celebrities stayed here…  The current owners have rehabilitated what had become a rundown place, using a Rt 66 theme…  The rooms are tiny but nice… the people are better… its not the Hilton… its better and more authentic in a weird wacky way… 

On arriving in Kingman I found the road had been hard on the Jeep and I had to tighten the latch bolts on the tire carrier...  I will likely have to address other issues… This was the worst dirt road I have ever traversed.  It was wonderful...

Yesterday was my My 21,915th day on the planet… that is 60 years…  for dinner I walked up the street to the Dambar steak house and had a rib eye steak… and a whiskey for desert… a proper birthday dinner…  Greetings from friends were overwhelming…

Today I spent the morning doing research… on the local railroad… the Superior court had a case file on their bankruptcy… generally bankruptcies are Federal court cases but this was territory, not a state and things were done differently…  The County Courthouse had the railroad mortgage and other records… 

Having spent time inside court houses I drove east back to near Oatman… in search of the Leland and Mitchell and Vivian Mines… I had coordinates… longitude and latitude… and it turned out the day before I was two canyons off… I found the location, but it was fenced off with “No Trespassing” signs… I found the railroad headed that way and could see the mines on the hill side… I am happy… 

Back in Kingman, I had a beer at the local brewery… then BBQ at a joint across the street… Now back at the motel, sitting outside, listening to music and writing… It’s a bit breezy and cloudy… it appears a monsoon is blowing in

Goodnight…

No comments:

Post a Comment