Monday, October 7, 2013

Now Home…




We got home late last night (Saturday)…  We had been traveling just over 24 hours… I got a little sleep on the first flight from Athens to JFK, then slept the 4 hours on the 5 hour flight to San Francisco.  Between the time change (10 hours there, 10 hours back) and the travel marathon, my internal clock is confused… generally I bounce back and reset quickly, but not this time… Its now a bit after midnight, Monday morning… I am up working on the computer, playing with photos and writing…


I take a lot of pictures… Particularly but not necessarily while traveling…  On this trip I averaged more than 100 photos per day… some days I shot as many as 250.   I generally delete about a third of them immediately… either because they have a technical flaw, or because I shot 5 or 6, and one was clearly the best.  Like most people some are “post card” pictures… the basic photo of a ruin or a harbor to say I was there…  Some include Tina…  some are just to remember the name of the place I was, maybe a picture of the interpretive panel or a restaurant sign.   More often I take pictures for me, of things that strike my fancy and hopefully speak to the places I have been.  Graffiti is a common theme… 


I occasionally play a game with my photos… submit an album of only 12, my favorite 12 from a place… sometimes there is a more specific theme.   Generally the post card photos don’t make it in the album…

Of course, on this trip internet issues played havoc with my attempts to post them while traveling… Now home with fast internet technology is no longer an issue.

This trip (so far) has resulted in 6 albums…  

The photos
12 photos of Athens, 1st day  Only a few of ancient monuments and such… an early morning trip to the Central Market provided some images.
12 photos of the Hagia Sophia Also a couple from a souvenir shop nearby
12 photos from our second visit to Athens – The museum of Archeology is prominent, particularly the modern art they show among the old things… the Central Market appears again, this time mid day…
Best photos of Istanbul (not 12… sorry) – this is as close to slide tray of family photos from a trip as I get…
12 photos from Delos &  Mykonos  The ruins of Delos with columns and statues of Lions contrasted with white buildings with blue trim and wind mills… If you visit Mykonos you are required to take pictures of wind mills (check the visa stamp in your pass port… the fine print… its there)
12 photos from Santorini  More white buildings with blue trim… 

There is likely to be one of two more albums… but it is late at night and the bed is calling…

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment