Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Catching up and filling in…


I realize that I Haven’t talked about dad’s death. This is probably my issue…


A fiend, a close friend, called a few days ago… he asked about Dad… he knew but I hadn’t said anything… My issue… I told him…


Dad died July 6th


Since, I have been distracted, in a different place…


It was a good death… he died at home, surrounded by family and friends… the best way to die… dying is never good but inevitable… the Best you can do is to die well… Dad did. Tina and I each held a hand… Dan held his feet… he went gently, without a death rattle or other marker…He simply faded away.


He had Lymphoma… a cancer of the lymphatic system.. He had Burkett’s Lymphoma, the most aggressive kind… from symptoms to death it was about 8 weeks…He checked himself into the hospital on May 16th… Tina and I arrived on May 23rd…He was diagnosed on May 24th..


We moved him to the Hospice care facility on May 28th… We moved him home in June, for the last month of his life.


He was home with friends and family… and his birds.


We had pool parties… we took they doors off his bedroom… we sold birds… he talked to friends… friends visited.. We had cocktail hour…daily… He had a Dr.’s order for a vodka & tonic.


He was aggravated the last night… we called the hospice for help… the next morning he was confused but aware… He slipped into unconciseness about noon… He slipped away about 10:00 on July 6th 2011…


We miss him.


Since I have been catching up… too busy by an order of magnitude… frustrated and hiding… there is a bunch of estate stuff… I now have a lawyer, an accountant… I have had my signature notarized… and notarized… and notarized again… I have read and filled out insurance forms… I am numb from paper work…


I am starting to emerge from my funk… Work is calling… it keeps calling… It never lets up… at least it is reliable…


Work is interesting at least… we are interviewing architects… architects who will develop a project to fix the house foundation, the electrical system, and install a heating system. Interviewing architects is a bit above my pay grade… but within my skill set… We have what I think is a good choice… a decision made well…


We are also getting ready for night tours… fixing the sprinkler system… planning Christmas, both this year and next…


Last weekend I escaped over the mountains… next Saturday T and I head for a tropical vacation in Hawaii… Life is looking good…


Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment