Saturday, May 8, 2010

The grand rendezvous… Chicago

Throughout the day I had updates from the ladies… at 5:00 they were in Michigan, having visited Tanya and Fred, now again headed westward

At 6:00 they were near the Indiana/Illinois state line… stuck in traffic caused by a serious accident…

By 9:20 they were at the hotel, near O’hare, checking in…

I had left work a bit after 4:00 pacific time, headed home for the ride to the airport… the trip was slow… nearly an hour for what is usually 30 minutes, and occasionally less. I changed, grabed my bags and was off to the airport with Tina and Emma…

I rush to check my bag ($23.00 please) then make a quick trip through security… then rush to the gate, only to find that my flight, scheduled to board in about 15 minutes will instead board in an hour and 15 minutes… I retreat to the bar… order a beer and take out a book.

The beer is good, the book better (Sandstone Spine by David Roberts, a story of trip, a hike along a ridge in search of Anasazi… I see a summer trip in the book)
I set check the airline’s website on my phone, set the alarm on my phone… I drink another beer… I read more… the alarm goes off… I move to the gate where our plane has arrived… I board, find a place for my bags and sit down… The people who follow me aboard are not all as lucky… the space in the overhead bins is fast disappearing… they are offering to gate check bags… the dreaded announcements are starting… one bin nearby won’t close… the owner of the offending bag rearranges it and it now closes… the gentleman nearby, hoping to place his smaller bag in that bin once the oversize bad is disappointed.

I say to the “Stew” (aka flight attendant) “I bet you love this part of your job….” She “Uh Huh….”

You can either fight it and get mad or laugh at it… I choose to laugh.
We are now over the Sierras at about 37,000 feet… There is still significant snow below… the weather is broken layers of clouds and fog, soft grays in the failing light… About 8:00 we cross over into Nevada… I take a few pictures, then shut down the computer to read and hopefully take a nap.

They made up a half hour in flight. I won the luggage lottery… third bag off… after wandering about O’Hare looking for the shuttle stop I made it to the hotel about 1:30… A quick nap… Up again at 6:00 local time (4:00 pacific) and armed with a cup of coffee, and fortified by a quick shower, we are off…

No comments:

Post a Comment