Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tonopah tomorrow, or, into the desert…



Its near 11:00 pm… I leave about 6:00 am tomorrow… I should be in bed, but instead, I am blogging...

The Jeep is ready… fresh oil… half a tank of gas… my sun glasses are sitting on the dash… The Blue’s Brothers would suggest I lack a pack of cigarettes… but that’s not my vice, so not an issue…

My Bag is packed… there is a cooler out, ready to receive ice and some cheese and salami… some water and maybe a beer or two… Tradition suggests beef jerky is needed, but that can be sourced on the road.   In the back of the jeep there is a flat of water and a 12 pack of Lagunitas IPA…  The gallon of water under the seat has been replaced since the crash…  There is a box of CD’s, but it is likely Andrew will bring his mix tapes…  and we are likely to listen to his mixes… they are good.

There is a jacket in the back of the jeep, but weather reports suggest it won’t be needed… but you never know in the desert… the desert doesn’t suffer fools or the unprepared.  At least I and the Jeep are ready.  Hell yes…  the jeep is ready…



The Presentation is nearly done… as nearly as it can be 2 days out… There is a printed hand out… sitting on the back seat of the jeep… I have the power point saved to a thumb drive… to the hard drive on the computer… to a back up thumb drive…  I will change it tomorrow… I will change it Friday, an hour before the presentation… I will rethink the order of the slides…  imagine a slide that should be added that will make the transition from C&C to SPC better… I may wake up in the middle of the night with an epiphany… such is the process of writing and presenting…  If you care, you are forced to think… to consider your subject, and the message…  Edit, re-write... edit...

Back to the trip… I have a hotel (motel) room reserved… I have checked out all 5 or 6 restaurants in town on TripAdvisor…  Mexican is looking like a good option.

I have the camera and a tripod… I likely will see things in the desert…  I have a library... 5 books, a couple of file folders of notes and copies of stuff... information...

So, at about 6:00 am tomorrow… I will pull out of the driveway… head across the bay… then east, really north east, on I-80 headed for the Sierras, for Grass Valley to pick up Andrew, then over Donner Pass… Into and over the high Sierra… Once into Nevada we can choose to go south to Carson City then East, and south, or further on 80 then south to Fallon… I think I will head down through Carson, Dayton, Churchill, and Wabasha…   Google says this route will take more time, but it is a more interesting route… and Google doesn't understand how fast we drive in the desert... Andrew will get a vote on the route…  but I suspect we will agree…

Now, late at night, I realize I haven’t packed maps… this is both an omission, but also a statement about how we hold knowledge in the brave new E-world…  I have maps… lots of maps…. Maps going back to the 19th century… lots of maps from 1916… but all either on line or on the hard drive of the computer… With the realization comes a trip to the file cabinet for at least a few dead tree maps… as back up or maybe because I like paper…  Maps are a good idea…

The Game is afoot... and so, I must be too... 

Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment