Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reflecting on the changes with 55 days to go…



May 21st on my blog, I wrote “Back to work tomorrow, but I am not looking forward to it… in fact I am dreading it…not for the work, but for the politics… something needs to change… but I am not sure what or how…”  At the moment I wrote it I had not considered retirement as an option…
My next post, three days later was titled “I may have retired today….”  Between the two, I guess I identified the change needed… and how… and did it… 

Now I am dealing with the ramifications of the decision… mostly good… 

There is paperwork… at work there is confusion… about roles going forward… about my current role… I feel like an observer rather than an employee… I have become the old curmudgeon…  I am enjoying the role… I get to observe, and comment in ways which would not have been possible on May 24th… For then I was employed, but today I am becoming retired… so I get to comment, and be snarky as needed, and occasionally “F” off while at work… 

Unfortunately, I care too much to “F” off much… and things at the district (the “them” organization) are weird with a labor action pending and all that that brings to the party… So, I go to work… putter about end up working more than expected, but am not getting as much done as I would like…

Now 54 days to go… I took the ladies to the airport at O-dark-30 or so… they are off to Vancouver to meet a ship for a cruise to Alaska… dispatches suggest that earlier today they were sitting in a Starbucks neat the steam clock having coffee…  Meanwhile, here at home I am caring for the menagerie… two dogs, 4 indoor cats, 3 outdoor cats and some pigeons… I am writing… mostly a project for Colorado… I am working in the yard… but its hot, hotter than expected so less is getting done… except watering… I water and water and plants still look stressed…  

And I am considering resetting the toilet that the dog knocked loose…  Abby is a big girl and likes to chew things and so, when we leave she is confined to the bathroom… where she is eating the door frame and has knocked the toilet loose from the floor…  All equating to a project for me…
Meanwhile I am working on the Colorado project, trying to get traction on the writing I am responsible for … occasionally going outside and working on the yard… moving the hose… watering…  cutting stuff back… filling trash cans… dumping trash cans in the green waste bins… then I get hot and retreat to the house and the computer and writing…  I think I am practicing for retirement...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment