Monday, June 3, 2013

I may be retired, part V… We have a Date!



It turns out retiring is hard work… saying “I quit” doesn’t cut it…
There are forms and letters and a negotiations with people who I care about, about when I will not do what… (Previously, before retirement, the negotiations were when I would do what…)   This ”I am not doing this” is powerful… I don’t want to abuse it…  The people I am leaving behind are friends (mostly… there are “them” too, a don't care a rat's behind about the "Them")
To retire, I need to send a letter including the last day I expect to work… and I have to fill out “long form tax return” size document to trigger my pension… and that document needs a date, along with my name and such, my employer’s name and such, and direct deposit information so they can send the check…  Those checks are important, so I shall fill out the paperwork…
So, we need a date… the boss and I sat down, talked about it and I pulled a date out of by backside… August 30th, a Friday… This is not necessarily the last day I work, or the last day I am officially working…  I have vacation that could make the last day earlier or later… there is a commitment to help hire and train my replacement… so the date is better described as a goal or negotiating point… or maybe a math problem…
But with a date I can start a countdown…   It is 81 days, but within that there are 13 weeks, with 24 days off…  with one day off after the 30 and one yesterday,  so really it is 57 work days…  It would be 56 if I take the July 4th Holiday into account, but I am not taking it off… so 57 days to go… 
Back to the math problem… come August 30th, there will still be accrued vacation… some accrued before “The decision”, but a week or of time, or so, after the announcement but before August 30th... so I may still be gainfully employed (aka, a paycheck) though much of the month of September…   If I work it out right, I may retire while in Istanbul…  on a previously planned vacation… 
I want to retire while in some exotic local... Istanbul works... 
A new goal…

1 comment:

  1. Exotic locales are good. I retired from Delta Airlines while in the Caribbean, incidentally avoiding an exit interview, which pleased me. I had said everything I wanted to say by filing a 'discrimination against women in promotions' lawsuit with the EEOC, and they had said everything they wanted to say during the 7 years that I worked for them after the lawsuit was filed.

    ReplyDelete