Friday, March 22, 2013

Packing again




We (the daughter and I) are starting to prepare for the Death Valley trip... there is a duffel bag and a pile of close in my bedroom... a bag on the kitchen counter... and a rapidly growing list…. A list that includes fire wood, lamp fuel, newspaper (to start fires), charcoal and matches… you would think we were pyromaniacs (we might be, but that is not the issue…)  There is a tent, an awing, two cots, two folding chairs, sleeping bags and an oriental rug for the tent (this is not camping rough) along with beer and wine and whiskey and steak and chili, and bacon and biscuits…  Food is important…  There will be a stove, with fuel… (they work better with fuel…) a coffee pot (Coffee… if anything is important it might be coffee) and pans…

We need matches…

At least the Jeep is ready, with half a tank of gas, three jacks, a tow strap, a sand anchor, a chain, a couple of shoves and other “stuff” in case…

I need a room for Saturday night… somewhere in the eastern Sierra… while I love to camp, I do not like to arrive at a camp site late after a long drive, then try to make camp in the dark… It isn’t fun… When driving some distance on a camping trip, it is much better to spend a night in a room, presumably with a shower and food available nearby… then travel a shorter distance, make camp, then spend a leisurely day exploring…  I travel for fun, not as an endurance test…

Mean while… there are other travel plans to be made… I will be attending conferences in May and June… one in Tonapah Nevada… the other in Grass Valley… I need rooms at each… and while I am looking at rooms in outback Nevada, for a different trip, my wife is suggesting a hotel in Athens… Greece… a world away… but in reality, only 5 months and a long airplane ride from here…

No comments:

Post a Comment