Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Near midnight, SFO




I am off again… this time to Washington DC…   Into the malstrom which is a winter storm, which isn’t as bad as expected…

My flight is a bit late… we should have started boarding some time ago… but the plane  has only just arrived…  I am flying my beloved Virgin America, with purple and pink mood lighting… I plan on sleeping most of the way, but if not, will enjoy the flight.

I am visiting libraries… the Library of Congress… (I have a library, or rather “reader’s card”  It is a powerful statement of intent, and in an emergency can be used as ID to board an airplane… really, I might have once done it…) The Smithsonian Museum of American History Library… and two different National Archive sites… 

There is family, too… Nieces, Nephews, spouses (also Nieces and Nephews in our family…we ignore the “in law” in this family… we ignore the step too… it is all one big happy family as it should be…  so, with nieces and nephews and great nieces and great nephews…  It will be wonderful…  

Of course there is the worry… the snow…  It was being referred to as Snowquester…  a storm scheduled to hit between 11:00 and 6:00 am… I land at 7:00 am… shutting down DC… but now the planned snow ball fight at DuPont Circle is canceled and the snow that fell is melting and I don’ expect any problems…  but the problems would have been welcome… for I am a traveler, on vacation, and while there are goals and plans, a bit of snow, and inconvenice would have been exciting and different (assuming I didn’t crash the damn rental car… that would not have been good) and the snow ball fight would have been special.

So, one minute before scheduled departure, I sit with a beer (Lagunitas IPA) waiting to call us to board our magical silver steed… and blog…

No comments:

Post a Comment