Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Next trip looming

Two days from now I fly away… to Hawaii… It is not just a pleasure trip (but it will be a pleasure) but instead, a working trip… I will be doing a preservation study for a railroad car, a Hawaiian railroad car.


I will be studying a single car, making suggestions on how she should be preserved… It is a process that I am comfortable with…


But the car (the railroad car) is owned, preserved, operated by a group, a preservation group who I don’t know… Preservation groups, particularly volunteer based groups have thoughts, directions, and ideas… and those ideas and such must be taken into account…


Of course, while there I will be tourist… a searcher… a visitor… This is my second trip to the Islands... the first time I flew into Honolulu, then flew to Kauai to explore. Explore the Grove Farm and Missionary houses at Princeville, Boone’s railroad, and whatever I found interesting… Several days later I flew back, then joined my son on his destroyer, for a tiger cruise back to Everett. I spent a night in ships berthing at dock in Pearl, visited the Arizona the next day, then we sailed west. This time I will explore Honolulu and Oahu.


In preparation, I have been scanning slides… slides of restoration work… for a presentation while in Hawaii. It is tedious… it takes 3-4 minutes for each slide… I need to scan a little over 200 slides… so over 10 hours… I probably will use less than 30 in my presentation… I just don’t know which 30 slides… The scanning comes as I find myself abandoning slides, slide projectors and silver as a photographic method. I am not the only one… Only last month the last Kodachrome processing machine was turned off… Instead of Kodachome we have jpg’s… instead of a carousel we have a laptop… the world moves on.


The upside to the scanning process is the memories I am finding as I look through the slides.

No comments:

Post a Comment