Sunday, October 31, 2010

Packing…



T. and I are off again… flying next Friday after work, off to Ft Lauderdale for a Caribbean cruise… This trip is a true escape, a vacation... we chose the sailing based on the date, not on the destination(s) Grand Turk, San Juan, San Martin, and the Bahamas.


Today is Sunday, our last day off before, and we have the extra bedroom, so packing is commencing…


Packing is more than just a chore; more than stuffing random clothing and stuff in a suitcase… it’s the first pre departure ritual… Well, not the first of the pre departure rituals… those start months before as Tina sends me emails about possible trips, we send each other links to information about ports and possible activities… but the packing is the first of the real physical acts…


The basic clothing is easy… so many socks, underwear, a bathing suit (it is the Caribbean after all) shorts, and flip-flops… Then it starts getting complicated… I take my tux (yes, I own one) and need to find all the accessories… studs, cuff links and cummerbund… the shoes are probably at work (I run a historic house, a Victorian house and occasionally wear tails at work…)


I need to gather the cameras, the memory cards, the batteries, make sure the laptop case is ready with cords and cables and such. We will need phone chargers, or cables to connect the phone to the computer… I take a GPS and a map… Tina claims that I want to tell the Captain where to steer, but I just like to know where I am. The GPS needs batteries, so I need to find those too. We are spending some time in Ft Lauderdale before, so I need that map too.


I need books… there is a pile at my feet of so far unread wonders… I need to decide which will accompany me.


We are likely to head over to the Coast for lunch… Sam’s Chowder House and a lobster roll sandwich are calling… and there is a baseball game tonight… The 4th game of the World Series… Its kind of important… we have a dog in the fight this year… the Giants are ahead by one going into tonight’s game…


No comments:

Post a Comment