Sunday, June 28, 2009

Dumpster fires, Miss Bolivia, a murder, and NASCAR, how was your weekend?

I am no longer thinking, just reacting… It has been that kind of week…

We are holding a camp at Ardenwood, 24 children, from 8:30 to 5:30… Making things out of duct tape, exploring the farm (we saw foxes, skunks and snakes…) we made diet coke and Mentos fountains… I have great staff… but I worry… I am responsible for 24 kids… The last kids leave abo9ut 5:30 on Friday…

So I walk out to my car at 6:30 Friday night… as I get close I realize there are two people around the big trash dumpster which is smoking… I get closer and realize it is in flames… I am late for an event… I don’t need this…

One is a part interpreter from a different park, the other the employee of our caterer. The interpreter is on her cell phone and radio… They are watching the flames grow ever nearer to the eucalyptus trees above. (For those of you not familiar with the eucalyptus, it is a large Australian tree which burns with enthusiasm) The district’s fueling station is located nearby…

Gasoline and eucalyptus… not a good combination…

The interpreter is in contact with the park’s public safety dispatch… They are asking lots of questions… she is agitated…

There is a hose nearby… I turn it on a drag it over… I knock down the fire but can’t put it out…. I give the interpreter the hose… I grab a second hose, turn it on and drag it over… Its still a couple of minutes before the fire department arrives… The fire is still going, just not leaping flames… They take over… I leave a business card and leave…

My boss was retiring (that day.) We (boss and friends) meet at a local restaurant (http://www.federicoscafe.com) to celebrate… Of course I smell of smoke (not in a good way…)

Dinner is wonderful… It is a seven course winemakers dinner, each course mated with a wine from La Creama… The General Manager and the sales rep are present… The food is good (no great) carefully matched to the wine… It is great… A friend is there with his crew shooting a commercial for the restaurant… There is music, there is dancing… Enter Miss Bolivia… She will be teaching dancing lesions… She is beautiful…

I recommend Fredricos. The brothers, Kiko and Rico are wonderful, the food is wonderful, the atmosphere is welcoming…

Five hours later it is all over… Home to feed the cats and dog…

Up early, too early, then after dealing with the animals, off to work… It’s Murder Mystery night… a blatant attempt to make money to support the house… Its fun, its murder… we get cleaned up and leave by 9:30… used up… Oh, this time the maid did it.

Sunday, I get up late… (the cats complain) feed the massed animals, make coffee and take it easy… NASCAR in on… My mother follows NASCAR… she is a fan of Jeff Gordon… He is in the lead… He finishes second in a rain shortened race. Mom and I talk several times during the race… Having a shared interest with you parents is great.

In am sleepy, I think I will take a nap…

No comments:

Post a Comment