Sunday, June 11, 2017

North to Carson and return… A weekend road trip




Late Wednesday Evening: Henderson Nevada (aka “home”)

This weekend there is a railroad history conference in Carson City, so early tomorrow, I will first go to my weekly Rotary meeting, then stop by work, then drive north… north from Boulder City pausing to leave the dogs at the kennel, then, through Beatty, through Goldfield, through Tonopah, through Hawthorn and along the west shore of Walker Lake… on to the Mason Valley and the town of Yerrington (the conference is dedicated to Mr Yerrington and his many 19th century Nevada business ventures.)

Then though the Dead Camel Mountains to Ft Churchill, then through Dayton and Mound House to Carson…  Google says it is a drive of some 455 miles, and should take about 7 ½ hours…   That assumes about 62 miles per hour… I will likely drive faster… but it also assumes no stops… and I will likely stop… to look at a Best Tractor that has recently appeared in Goldfield, maybe at the ruins of the salt mine at Rhodes Marsh… 

Beyond the conference, Carson City is also the home of the headquarters of Nevada Museums… I shall stop by the office and say hi… and turn in some papers.  For least one afternoon the conference will be held at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, Carson City… the sister museum to mine in Boulder City.

Of course there will be conversations with friends, over meals, and likely over drinks…  that after all is why we meet and hold conferences.

So now as I head for bed, the car is packed...  the suitcase is packed… the garden is watered, the dishes and laundry is done… I have done what is needed to be done, and should be able to leave without concern.

Now, 6:05 am Thursday… the dogs are fed… there are a few things put in the jeep… then in a few minutes off.. the sunrise, at 5:15 am was particularly spectacular and colorful… all is ready…
Home has a strong pull… There are responsibilities…  they exert a pull that can making leaving hard…  Today I first head east instead of north… to a Rotary meeting, then stopping at work… then back west and north… I am on the road by 8:50…  dropping the dogs off at the kennel and back on the road by 9:10… Traffic was light across Las Vegad  and by the time I reached India Springs I was averaging 62 miles per hour…  so on time per the Google plan… 

Leaving Las Vegas on Hwy 95, I am free of town and into the desert quickly… The road through the center of the state is largely unpopulated…  and those places along the way small…  Beatty has just over 1.000 souls… Goldfield, the largest city in Nevada in 1908 is now home to less than 300 people… Tono,ah has a bit less than 3,000, while Hawthorn, an hour north has just over 3,000, the largest population until I reach Dayton, less than 30 miles out of Carson, with not quite 9,000 people… 

I pause in Beatty at the gas station and candy store… It’s a modern incarnation of the Stucklies that used to be found on I-10… home to date milkshakes…   Then in Goldfield looking for some old iron (and not finding it), taking a few photos… Then on to Tonopah… Between Goldfield and Tonopah there are wild burros to be seen along the road… Tonopah has gas and is roughly half way so I stop… This road is remote and planning gas stops important…  Beyond, in Mina traffic is stopped… dead stopped… there has been an accident.  

Once we start moving, traffic is thick, all of one hour’s worth of cars and trucks and motor homes bunched, all restrained by the slowest of the turtle people.  Passing when able… threading through… the drive becomes exciting… a chess game… knowing the road helps…  Set up for the opportunity… bring the revs up… check for oncoming traffic… pass… pass one car, or pass three… on to the next blockage… 

I clear the blockage just before Shurtz… on the Rez… the Nevada Shoshone  Reservation…  Then east through Yerrington and the Mason Valley…  then over the Dead Camel Mts with a pause at Churchill to check out our traditional group campground… its flooded… I watch a cow swim across the campground… 

Then on to Carson and the conference… and friends and conversations… 

We have presentations on railroad history… I discover that I am expected to speak on railroad paint… I discover this at 7:34 am… and am expected to speak at about 8:00 pm… a prepare a presentation while eating lunch… friends make jokes… but I am ready… We explore my sister museum at Carson…  I approve their deposits… We discuss transferring rolling stock… all is good…
That evening I speak about research on paint on depots and different company traditions… Andrew hands out paint cards… We do well… 

The next day we explore Virginia City and several mills and mines…  It is a about mining and milling and advances in milling and how that affected the Comstock…  Then more presentations that evening that evening … 

This morning I join others at breakfast… There is snow in store for the Sierra near Tahoe… today’s hike is canceled…  so, I head south heading for home… leaving at 10:00… or so… taking the dirt road from Dayton to Churchill along the nearly flooded Carson River… there are quail and rabbits in abondunce… then back on the paved road beyond…I pause in Hawthorne to look at a possible railroad building, again in Tonopah for gas… then the hard run south… 

It’s windy… way too windy… I drive through a dust devil… it nearly throws me off the road…   Cross winds increase in velocity and severity… I slow… It is dusty and visibility is drastically reduced… there are dust storms…

Now late… now home… I have watered the plants… Gael is coming over… all is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment