Monday, May 19, 2014

Mohave vs Mojave, or Off into the desert, again…



Tomorrow I am again off on the road, into the desert… This time mostly solo… The original reason for the trip… a family gathering in Tucson and evolved into larger journey…  wandering across the Mojave desert, in search of ghosts of old railroads and mines and libraries (where I will also search for ghosts)  It is likely I may find some dirt roads...

I will start by heading south to Barstow for the night… then head east… Leaving I-40,  exploring the area around Daggett…  There were once railroads here… narrow gauge railroads… four of them…  I am looking for remains, in particular a tie from one, to measure… to find the gauge…  I plan to drive Mule canyon… a dirt road which once saw 20 mule team wagons…   I will be visiting a local museum, the Mojave River Museum,  with a large photo collection…  then following Rt 66, the “Mother road” across the Mojave desert through Newberry Springs, Ludlow, Amboy, Cadiz and Goff…  I will rejoin I-40 at Needles crossing the Colorado into Arizona and Kingman. 

Kingman also has a museum, the Mohave Museum of History and Arts, with photos… this time I will be searching for photos and refernces to a railroad which ran from the river to the mining town of Oatman…  Oatman is on old Rt 66… west of Kingman… I will explore that bit of old highway on Thursday afternoon, then back to Kingman… 

Friday I will visit the Mojave Desert Archives…   of the Mojave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association in a former railroad station in the one time community of Goffs....  somewhere in the desert west of Needles...

The Mojave, or Mohave is the theme for this trip…  The Mojave River, the Mojave Desert, Ft Mojave and the Mojave road…  but also Mohave with an “H” as spelled in Arizona…  Mohave County, the Mohave Mts, and Ft Mohave…  (yes there are two Ft Moh(j)aves… and the Mohave & Milltown railroad… The Mojave River Museum… the Mohave Museum of History and Arts…  Kit Carson preferred Mohave… as did anthropologist A.L. Kroeber … (Tina’s mother took classes from Kroeber…)  but the Government and the Mojave Indians like the “j”… to make things interesting, apparently General Fremont favored the unique spelling “Mohahve” during his 1840’s trips…  

Leaving the Mohave behind, Finally I will spend the night in Parker Arizona… along the Colorado River, before heading east to Phoenix to pick up Tina (aka the wife) at the airport… Now no longer a solo trip, we will head south to Tucson for the family party…   

The weather forecast is favorable…  mostly high 80’s… maybe 100 on Saturday…  Likely a bit less when we reach Tucson.  

We will be in Tucson for a couple of days… a couple of parties, lots of family…  There is a chance that I may get to spend some time with fragments of President Lincoln’s railroad car… that is not a certainty, but I am hopeful…

Early Monday,  having partied and visited we will head north… it is about 850 miles home… Google says a bit over 12 hours…  I note that Philippes (“The Original”) in Los Angeles is pretty close to half way…  It might be a good place to stop for lunch…  I am beginning to crave a French dip sandwich…

Road reports to follow…

 Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment