Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Road trip planning

I recently retired… and with retirement came stepping back… evaluating where I am and going… With retirement pending, trip planning seemed to be less important… and I did have a big trip coming up… to Greece and Turkey… a cruise of the Greek Islands…  





Road trips were now less necessary as escape…  But, suddenly road trips, and road trip planning has reemerged as a priority…  for trips not previously planned…   

A sister in law is turning 70 and there is a party planned… in Tuscon… a few days after Christmas.  A drive south is called for… and heading south, and returning north there are options beyond I-5 south to I-10… and back a few days later.

We are heading south on Hwy 101 to Paso Robles… to taste some wine… then off to Tuscon… crossing the coast range into the central valley…  beyond the route is not certain…

Heading back… the daughter will fly, as she has a trip of her own planned… so Tina and I will drive to Kingman… spending the night and heading off to Death Valley for two days, including New Year’s eve… I plan spend sunset New Year’s eve sitting on a sand dune, watching the landscape change as the sun goes down the moon rises…  The next morning we will drive home… over Tioga Pass if snow hasn’t yet closed it (and if snow hasn’t closed it drought will be a real threat) or around the bottom of the Sierras along the Kern if Tioga is closed… 

The second possible trip will be a cross country to Washington DC… the daughter is applying for an internship, and if successful will need her car…  time will likely be an issue… weather could be an issue…  It  will likely be a southern crossing… but I am thinking St Louis if the weather doesn’t interfere.  If it does I will stay south reaching the coast as at Charleston... then north on I-95

The third has exploded… from nothing to a full itinerary… What about Glacier National Park?  Now that I am gainfully unemployed, I can drive to the vicinity, while Tina flies…  explore the park, then drop Tina at a convenient airport and I will drive home solo…   We first discussed it Sunday… and today have reservations at several park hotels… 

The road is calling… again…

No comments:

Post a Comment