Thursday, September 26, 2013

On Blogging while traveling



This has not been a good cruise for blogging... it is port intensive… I need to get up early before we leave the ship, or stay up late after dinner and other activities to write the blog…  I am three days behind in my writing…  (not really, Mykonos is mostly written, but I try to post in order, which means I need to finish a couple of other posts before Mykonos sees the light of day…)  I was 4 days behind but finally got online for a few minutes and posted Istanbul…   

Of course, first I write it, then I get to try to post it…  Posting has been a significant issue on this cruise. The connections from the ship, always slow have been on this cruise beyond bad…  Ships are always on satellite internet, which is always slow… very slow, time out slow… but speed isn’t an issue when you can’t connect at all… On this cruise the internet doesn’t work before 8:00 am… and by the middle of the night is not working again… and again…  I purchased 500 minutes, got a bonus of an extra 50, and in 5 days have used less than 100....

I have spoken to the internet manager a couple of times… without success… (beyond not being competent, he is rude…)  I have spoken to the purser’s office this evening, requesting a contact from a manager tomorrow…   In some 130+ days on Hal I have never complained about a crew member… I did tonight.

Typically on a ship photos are hard.  I just spent 20 minutes trying to post 12 photos…  but the ship board system when working it too slow…. They too will have to wait until tomorrow.
It appears that if I want to blog I will need to carry the laptop ashore and post from internet café’s.  This of course means carrying the laptop, which means I need to carry a backpack when ashore.  

Good night for now, I am back to writing and sorting photos…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment