Thursday, December 22, 2011

Stumbling towards Christmas…

Christmas at least as defined as the calendar is 3 days away… fast approaching…


At work, Christmas at work is nearly over… We are fast packing it away into the attic to wait until next November… Bags of garland… bags of cotton masquerading as snow… boxes with Christmas trees inside… boxes of ornaments, carefully sorted by color and theme… Carol Pike’ mice and rabbits are gone… home…to a place still Christmas…. As are the Father Christmas dolls, consigned to the attic…


Half the house (Patterson House) is bare… devoid of Christmas and its trappings… The remainder Is still Christmas… sadly isolated by spaced no longer Christmas.


I am done… I will spend the next 4 days at home… preparing and celebrating.. not at work…


Today, I was Father Christmas… for the 4th time… for the Pizza with Santa Tiny Tot programs… for the day care programs… for children… We talked of presents expected… of how Reindeer can fly… about how I can get down chimneys, and how I don’t get dirty, and how I can get in when you don’t have a fire place (I enter via the dryer vent, part of the same magic that allows reindeer to fly, me to shrink to allow a passage through a chimney, without getting dirty) Apparently Google maps is a big aid in navigation, and in a new tech theme I am keeping the naughty and nice list on an Ipad….


I haven’t been Santa or Father Christmas prior to this year… but this year I have been him 4 days… It is a role growing on me…it may happen again. I had thought Christmas was over… I was wrong… I got to be Santa, rather Father Christmas, for a new generation…


Later, after work, I went shopping… for a roast beast… for wine… for asparagus, and butter and the stuff which will become Christmas Eve dinner in a couple of days.


Steph and I went shopping… for stuff to make cookies…(there is a threat that flamingos may be involved…) for stuff to make Christmas Eve dinner…


I am feeling Christmasy

No comments:

Post a Comment