Wednesday, September 9, 2009

United Breaks Guitars

Those of you who regularly read this blog (both of you, ok, maybe the three of you) know that I am sometimes critical of passenger airlines and their customer service… as noted before they are low lying fruit and an easy target.

So, I was surprised, and greatly amused to find a song, no, two songs, with promise of a third… chronicling one musician’s experience (not good) with United Airlines and its baggage handling, which resulted in a busted guitar, and the resulting claims procedures.

Accepting the information our singer (Dave Carroll, of Sons of Maxwell, sonsofmaxwell.com) has provided at face value (why not, it reflects personal experience, although, I have never lost a guitar to the baggage monkeys), United was bad, United didn’t care… and now he has posted a statement on YouTube about the guitar that has been viewed 347,932 times along with the first song (viewed 5,435,364 times) and the second song (334,609 views)… So he has reached something over 5 million people with his story… United, are you listening… I guess not. At least UAL is consistent.

A few lines from the song
United, United
You broke my Taylor guitar
United, United
Some big help you are
You broke it, you should fix it
You're liable just admit it
I should have flown with someone else or gone by car
'Cause United breaks guitars


You to can view the videos and hear the songs. I recommend it.

Song number one… United Breaks Guitars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo&feature=channel
And of course the second song, United Breaks Guitars, two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UoERHaSQg&feature=channel

Apparently United has since offered compensation… Dave seems amused… but is not taking them up on it…

Dave’s statement…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_X-Qoh__mw#

Of course, now others are piling on making the whole thing worse…

CNN and CBS have both reported on the story…

A parody response from United (no, not really from United Air lines…)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuI3NxwI8c

Now Taylor Guitars has posted their response to the issue… a bit tongue in cheek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n12WFZq2__0

Of course, the top ad on the side bar when watching the CNN interview is Low Fares on United Airlines…. We pay for ads, but we don’t pay for broke guitars….

I think I will fly Virgin America… as far as I can tell they don’t break guitars… and they treat me well… every time… without my having to resort to YouTube… I like their safety video, I like the mood lighting… they have fresh flowers at the check in counter… Even when I am running late, out of breath, nearly late for my flight, they stay calm, and treat me well… I love Virgin America.

And the standard disclaimer… My wife works for Google. Google owns YouTube…

No comments:

Post a Comment