Saturday, August 8, 2009

Road trip, and farewell Kodacrome...

It's early Saturday... The truck is packed. I am off on the road trip... I am traveling alone... looking forward to time by a camp fire.

First over the Sierra's to a camp site near Mono Lake... then a long drive across the desolate and deserted part of Nevada.... to Hurricane Utah, staying in a Motel (showers and internet) then across the northern edge of Arizona to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to camp for the night.

From there it's across the Vermilion Cliffs, through the Navajo Reservation and north back into Utah at Monument Valley... I have a motel in Mexican Hat (Showers and internet again)

Then off to Mesa Verde Colorado... via 4 corners... Two nights camping and hiking among the ruins...

From there I head home, via Arches National Park... I have no idea where I will spend the night there... then Ely Nevada (motel for the last night) then home via Nevada Hy 6 and Yosemite... (its the shortest route)

The whole thing is about 2,300 miles.

This is the country of the John Ford western, complete with John Wayne, stage coaches and most important, some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere. I am carrying three cameras, one digital, two film... I intend to use up my last two rolls of Kodacrome... (after 70 some years Kodak is discontinuing Kodachrome... a victim of the digital age) It seems like an approprate place to say goodbye.

With luck the Monsoon will bring thunder showers, and spectacular clouds.

Bye for now... Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment