Thursday, January 1, 2009

It’s T minus 8 and counting


We leave in 8 hours for the cruise… Maybe I should start to pack…

It is interesting watching how others adapt to travel… Tina and I happen to be pretty travel compatible… but there will be moments…

We have started… piles of clothing have started to appear on the bed… there was a spot in the closet where we have been accumulating the hanging stuff… starting with the formal wear which is only used for occasions like this, along with the Hawaiian shirts and other things I am unlikely to want to wear to work …

I spend a lot of time choosing the books to take… they need to be a mix of light reading and something with real meat…

This trip it is:
My Antonia by Willa Cather – it was good in 1918… it still is
Decision at Trafalgar – Dudley Pope… generally an author of British Naval fiction in the O’Brien tradition… takes on a history this time
Superdove, How the Pigion Took Manhattan … and the World – Courtney Humphries… I have no idea how good it is, but I need to read it…
Swine Not? – Jimmy Buffett… A book about a pig living secretly with a working mother chef, her two children and a cat in a 4 star hotel in New York…
A Voyage Long and Strange – Tony Horwitz… I read anything by Tony Horwitz
Traffic, Why We Drive the Way We Do – Tom Vanderbuilt… well reviewed, interesting topic close to home for those of us who commute to work
On the Bottom, the raising of the US Navy submarine S-51 - Commander Edward Ellsberg … The story of a 1918 mission to raise a lost US submarine
The City of the Fallen Angels – John Berendt… by the author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Now T minus 5 and counting… the clothes are packed, were ready to go, I’m sitting here outside you door…. I’m leaving on a jet plane… (apologies to John Denver and Peter Paul and Mary…)

A note on today’s picture… 20 years ago we did the original family cruise… We had so much fun that we followed that by a second over Christmas in 1991… the picture is our “official” picture from the 1991 cruise…

Bye for now… I will try to blog from the road…

No comments:

Post a Comment